1. VOA英语学习网
  2. 设首页|英语四级|千亿国际文娱网页版|英语日志|英文自我引见|英语话剧脚本
  3. 打包下载 | 千亿国际 | BBC打包 | 日语 韩语
  4. 手机版
  1. 千亿国际文娱
  2. 剑桥英语测验认证
  3. 外教口语面临面课程

走遍美国:The Community Center ACT I

宣布工夫:2012-02-26内容泉源:VOA英语学习网

ACT I

Morning, Grandpa. 早安,爷爷。

Is something the matter, Grandpa? 怎样了,爷爷?

The editorial in this paper has my friend Nat Baker real upset. 这张报纸上的社论着实令我的冤家Nat Baker不快乐。

Ah! I'll read it to you. 啊!我来读给你听听。

"The old library building on Chestnut Street, “Chestnut街的老图书馆,

which has been vacant for over a year now, 已空了一年多,

was supposed to be made into a community center 原方案改成一座社区情谊中央

to serve the senior citizens 为Riverdale的老年人

as well as the younger people of Riverdale. 和年老人效劳。

Due to lack of funds 由于缺乏经费

for the repainting of the interior of the building 用来重新粉刷外部

and for the furniture needed, 和购置必须家具,

the plans for the community center 这项建筑社区中央方案

have been postponed indefinitely." 自愿有限期耽误!”

He's coming over to talk about it. 他便是要来谈这个题目。

Is it that serious a problem, Grandpa? 这个题目有那么紧张吗,爷爷?

It is. 是的。

Nat's not as lucky as I am, Robbie. Nat不像我如许侥幸,Robbie。

He doesn't have any family with him. 他没有家人和他在一同。

He lives alone 他一团体生存

and depends on places like a community center 次要靠社区中央如许的中央

to be with people--people his own age. 和他人来往。

But there's the old community center on Elm Street. 但是在Elm街有一个旧的社区中央。

It's small, 它小小的,

and the problem is that it's set up primarily for kids to play. 而题目是它次要是让孩子们去玩的。

Ping-Pong tables, soda machines, and lots of music. 乒乓球,汽水贩卖机,繁华的音乐。

It's too noisy for some older people like Nat. 它关于像Nat如许的老人来说太吵了。

I never realized that. 我历来没无意识到这点。

It's hard for some older people to take all that noise. 一些老年人没法忍耐那些乐音。

That's why the new community center is a good idea. 这便是为什么新的社区中央是个好主见。

Part of the building for older people, 修建物中的一些由老年人用,

part of the building for younger people. 另一局部给年老人用。

I see what you mean. 我明确你的意思。

That must be Nat. 肯定是Nat。

It could be Alexandra. 能够是Alexandra 。

She's coming over this morning to help me with my math. 她明天晚上要来帮我补习数学。

Hi, Robbie. 嗨,Robbie。

Hi, Alexandra. Come on in. 嗨,Alexandra。请进。

Do you want something cold to drink? 想喝点什么凉的工具吗?

I'd love some cola, please. 请给我可乐。

Cola coming up. 可乐立刻就来。

I really appreciate you coming over to help me with my math. 我真的很感激你过去帮我补习数学。

My final exam is next Tuesday. 期终测验就在下周二。

You're so good in all your other subjects. 你另外作业都那样好。

I just can't understand 我就不懂

why you have so many problems with math. 为什么你在数学方面有那么多题目。

Hi, Alexandra. 嗨,Alexandra。

Hi, Mr. Stewart. 嗨,Stewart 老师。

I thought that was Nat Baker who rang the front doorbell. 我还以为是Nat Baker按大门铃呢。

Don't let me interrupt you. 别让我打扰你们。

No problem, Grandpa. 没有干系,爷爷。

We're just having some cola 我们只是先喝点可乐

before getting to the tough stuff--math. 在凑合难缠的数学之前。

He'll do anything to avoid getting down to math lessons, 他总是想法想躲避数学,

Mr. Stewart. Stewart 老师。

I was the same way. 我当年也是如许。

Really, Grandpa? 真的,爷爷?

Really. I didn't like math. 真的。我不喜好数学。

I wasn't good at it, and I didn't like studying it. 我不精于此道,也不爱去学它。

But you had to be good at math. 但是你数学一科很好。

You graduated from engineering school. 你是从工学院结业的。

I was. But not in high school. 说的对。但高中时欠好。

For some reason, I couldn't get a handle on it. 由于某些缘由,我便是开不了窍。

Then, in college, I became good at it. 但是,在大学,我变得很精于数学。

Then there's hope for Robbie. 看来Robbie另有盼望。

I can't wait. 我刻不容缓。

You think I can just skip it now and get to it at college? 你想我如今略过数学,比及上了大学再学可以吗?

You'll never get to college to find out, Robbie, 你基本就进不了大学去探求这个题目的答案,Robbie,

if you skip it now. 假设你如今略过它的话。

That must be Nat. 这肯定是Nat。

来自:千亿国际文娱网页版_千亿国际文娱|www.qy449.com 文章地点: http://www.tingvoa.com/html/20120226/65945.html