1. VOA英语学习网
  2. 设首页|英语四级|千亿国际文娱网页版|英语日志|英文自我引见|英语话剧脚本
  3. 打包下载 | 千亿国际 | BBC打包 | 日语 韩语
  4. 手机版
  1. 千亿国际文娱
  2. 剑桥英语测验认证
  3. 外教口语面临面课程

TED十佳演讲之入门 我们需求谈谈不公(07)

宣布工夫:2017-12-05内容泉源:VOA英语学习网

And yet, we have in this country this dynamic where we really don't like to talk about our problems.

但是,我们这个国度不喜好讨论存在的题目。

We don't like to talk about our history.

我们不喜好讨论汗青。

And because of that, we really haven't understood what it's meant to do the things we've done historically.

正因云云,我们不克不及真正了解我们有史以来做了什么。

We're constantly running into each other. We're constantly creating tensions and conflicts.

我们不绝地发生抵触。不绝地制造告急氛围。

We have a hard time talking about race,

我们没法讨论种族题目,

and I believe it's because we are unwilling to commit ourselves to a process of truth and reconciliation.

我置信是由于我们不肯意重视一系列的现实,不肯意告竣息争。

In South Africa, people understood that we couldn't overcome apartheid without a commitment to truth and reconciliation.

在南非,人们晓得我们不克不及遗忘种族断绝,除非我们老实面临,告竣息争。

In Rwanda, even after the genocide, there was this commitment, but in this country we haven't done that.

在卢旺达,即便种族灭尽后,人们照旧重视了,但是在美国我们不肯意这么干。

I was giving some lectures in Germany about the death penalty.

我也在德国谈过极刑的题目。

It was fascinating because one of the scholars stood up after the presentation and said,

后果很绝妙,由于在讲谈后有个学者站起来说:

"Well you know it's deeply troubling to hear what you're talking about."

“你要晓得,听你谈这个很酸心。”

She said, "We don't have the death penalty in Germany. And of course, we can never have the death penalty in Germany."

她说:“我们德国没有极刑。固然了,我们德国永久也不行能有极刑。”

And the room got very quiet, and this woman said,

全场庄严,这位密斯说:

"There's no way, with our history, we could ever engage in the systematic killing of human beings.

“由于我们的汗青,我们永不行能决议有零碎地杀人。

It would be unconscionable for us to, in an intentional and deliberate way, set about executing people."

地下化且下认识地实行极刑,对我们来说,是良知上无法承受的。”

And I thought about that.

我考虑了这个题目。

What would it feel like to be living in a world where the nation state of Germany was executing people,

假如我整天都看着德国人杀人,

especially if they were disproportionately Jewish? I couldn't bear it. It would be unconscionable.

毫无原理地屠杀犹太人,我会有什么感觉?我无法忍耐。那真是太分歧理了。

And yet, in this country, in the states of the Old South,

但是,在我们这个国度,在北方各州,

we execute people -- where you're 11 times more likely to get the death penalty if the victim is white than if the victim is black,

我们真的在屠杀,当仅仅由于受益人是白人而不是黑人,你被判极刑的机率上升十倍时,

22 times more likely to get it if the defendant is black and the victim is white

当仅仅由于原告是黑人而不是白人,你被判极刑的机率上升二十一倍时,

in the very states where there are buried in the ground the bodies of people who were lynched. And yet, there is this disconnect.

在这些州,四处埋着被私刑正法的人。但是,我们照旧漠然置之。

来自:千亿国际文娱网页版_千亿国际文娱|www.qy449.com 文章地点: http://www.tingvoa.com/html/20171205/517106.html